Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Thanksgiving in Annapolis and Washington D.C.

Over Thanksgiving Break I traveled with my family to Annapolis, Maryland where my brother lives with his fiance. Annapolis is famous for being the town where the United States Naval Academy is located. I love the town, it's right on the water over looking the Chesapeake Bay. It has that old colonial feel with brick roads and the sea air that fills the town. When we arrived on Wednesday we passed the brand new Navy-Marine Memorial football stadium. After we got to my brother's house and got all settled in my brother, my dad and I went over the Naval Academy to walk around. All of the midshipmen were going home for Thanksgiving so the campus was pretty quiet. Walking around this historic campus make me think about all of the extraordinary and heroic people that have stood where I was and graduated from this school. I thought of all of the Sailors and Marines that after graduation fought and sometimes died for their country. Overall the Academy is a beautiful campus and if I could go there for school I would, however I missed the deadline. On Thanksgiving morning, my Mom and I woke up early and drove down to Washington D.C. The drive only took about a half an hour. We went to Arlington National Cemetery, the Jefferson Memorial, The Navy Yard, and the World War II Memorial. All of these places made me realize and think about how good we have it in this country. Since it was on Thanksgiving, I gave thanks to all of the troops fighting that could not be with their families on that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment